I am sure you might have also felt that this is the most difficult problem to solve. By the sheer fact that you are choosing a mentor for your child who is going to shape the future of your kid, the stakes involved is very high and you may not like to go wrong. When you start the searching, you will find thousands of skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled tutors with a variety of experience.
The good news is that we have listed the critical parameters that you should look for in your tutor. These parameters will help you to make the right decision during your selection process. Following are the tips and parameters that will help you to choose a best tutor and make an informed decision that benefits your child.
Do I need to hire a Private Tutor?
Private tutors not only provide students with the academic support to ensure good marks in the subjects but also equip them with right tools and best practices.
The advantages of hiring a private tutor are many however you need to establish clarity as to which parameter is more relevant for your kid.
Steps before start the search for private tutors
1. Child’s academic strengths and weaknesses:
Before you start searching for the private tutor, the first and foremost point is to identify the strengths and weakness of your child’s. Previous scores would help you to do so. Previous scores need to be analysed both from absolute and relative basis. Absolute means – how much your kid has scored in terms of percentages and relative means where he or she stands in class. At times low score doesn’t mean that your kids is week as the test paper itself might be hard and so is true for high scores. So absolute and relative scores will give the complete picture.
2. Goal Setting.
The next step is to set the realistic goals for your kid. The goals must be a bit ambitious but not over ambitious as well. The Goals must not be too simple as well. The goals should be bit tough to achieve but not tough enough that they come in the category of impractical.
The goal setting is an exercise which is going to be unique for each child in each subject.
3. Gap Analysis:
The gap is actually the difference between the current competency level of your kid as on date and where you want your kid to take.
This gap analysis should be done for each subject. After having a clarity on what we are looking for your kid, you should start interacting with the tutors.
10 Parameters to look for in private tutor
- Tutor’s Qualifications: This is very important and crucial parameter to consider while choosing Tutor. Remember that qualifications with the learning environment and techniques makes a tutor a good tutor. Better the qualification, better would be the academic strength of the tutor.
- Experience: It is vital that you take into consideration your tutor’s experience before you start engaging with them. Discuss about their previous experience, teaching techniques and performance of the tutor.
- The reasons why the tutor is in teaching profession?
The typical reasons why people become teachers
- 3.1 Passionate on teaching and teaching is the profession by choice: This category teacher should be your preferred choice because they have the good reason and motive why they are in teaching field
i. To Improve the Quality of Education
ii. To Give Back to Your Community
iii. To Change the Lives of Students
- 3.2 Extra part time income: Typically in this category comes the college going student who teaches to have some part time income.
- 3.3 No other option for living: This are the teacher those are made by their circumstances not by choice
Beyond a doubt, you should look for the tutors who are in category A.
4. Part time Vs full time: Part-time Tutors are mainly college going students comes in category of Undergraduates, University Graduates, Graduates who are looking for other job and doing it part time basis to earn some money.
Full time tutor are the passionate teacher they are full focused on the growth of your child progress. This teacher will cost more than part time tutor but knowledge
You should look for full time teachers who are connected with industry and current trends
5. Location and Commuting time: Travelling is highly time-consuming and pretty expensive depending upon the locations, and through and if your choice is online tuition, then these costs are eliminated.
You don’t have to worry about your tutor for getting late due to getting stuck in traffic, but is also likely to lower the cost of your tutor as they won’t have to factor travel expenses.
6. Budget: Budget should not be priority as this could be the best investment for your kid. Kid may not remember how you celebrated the birthday but will definitely remember how is education based is designed.
Having said that, Budget is an important consideration for decision making. There are means and ways you can optimize it for your desired tutors. Will come up next blog on this subject in future where I will address it in depth.
7. Is tutor available for online coaching? Now a days Online tuition is the becoming the first preference of the students more than in-person tuition, as due to the fact that neither the student nor the tutor has to travel anywhere and its more convenient for both of them. Weather too no longer a factor for missing and late classes.
8. Accessibility on phone/WhatsApp: Though its recommended to build discipline in your kid but still for some critical situation at least access to an WhatsApp is desirable.
9. Reputation of Tutor: In this world, people who work for reputation are able to give the best result. They are the one who don’t compromise and never take shortcuts.
Reputation is very difficult to hide but for you its tricky to find out. The next point addresses that.
10. Testimonials of the tutor: Look for the testimonials from the past students or take references and have a word with the past students and their parents.
The tutors who candidly share the experiences of their past students are confident about their services and the tutors who need to hide it, you know what to do.
Online vs Face to face coaching
Online coaching Future of Education: Yes Online Coaching Classes is the future of the education world. It is safe in this pandemic era. There are many benefits of using an online tutor or online coaching classes, and some of the reasons were
- Sessions can take place anywhere – as long as the student has access to a laptop, computer or even mobile phone.
- Travelling is highly time-consuming and pretty expensive depending upon the locations, and through and if your choice is online tuition, then these costs are eliminated.
- You don’t have to worry about your tutor for getting late due to getting stuck in traffic, but is also likely to lower the cost of your tutor as they won’t have to factor travel expenses.
- Now Online tuition is the becoming the first preference of the students more than in-person tuition, as due to the fact that neither the student nor the tutor has to travel anywhere and its more convenient for both of them, Classes can be shorter and arranged at more fun and interactive way that student prefer it.
- For some, this works perfectly, as having small duration class are more often can work as a means of keeping students motivated to stay focus on the topics of their studies and to make sure they are fully prepared and fresh for their next lesson.
New Established learning model
Visualization technique helps in bringing a dull and boring study concepts to life with visual object and practical learning experiences, these will help students to understand how their schooling applies in the real life. This will help child to understand and remember the topic for a longer time duration.
Some of the example of visualization is teaching through interactive whiteboard to display photos, audio clips and videos
Interactive Approach (I)
Pose thought-provoking questions which inspire your students to think for themselves and become more independent learners. This will help student in order to get a deeper understanding of content.
Interactive Approach encouraging students to ask questions and investigate their own ideas helps improve their problem-solving skills as well as gain a deeper understanding of academic concepts. Interactive approach and visualization both consider as a great life skills as well.
Participation and awards of recognition based learning experience which encourage student learn by fun and very effective step for personal development of the student.
Differential teaching by allocating tasks/activities based on students’ abilities, to ensure that everybody’s individual competency level is identified and their after increased consistently.
Solution-Based Learning (SL)
Solution-Based Learning (SL) is a cyclic learning process composed of many different stages, starting with asking questions and acquiring knowledge that, in turn, leads to more questions in a growing complexity cycle.
Progress measurement and reporting
Ask for the Pre and Post Assessment: To monitor and to make sure that your child succeed during tutoring, the tutor will need to provide the results of a pre assessment and a post assessment. It will help to monitor the growth of your child before and after the teaching.
You need to ask tutor precisely what that assessment is and what it will cover.
Then how often post assessments are given to measure progress.
You can ask the tutor regarding the time of the assessments and which is the mode of the communication in which they will share the results.
In this way you will understand of whether your child is actually making progress and you’ve held both your child and the tutor to measurable standards.
Would be difficult for you to find such tutors in your nearby vicinity but with advancement of technology you could get the best tutor for your kid who can teach you remotely. So its not the distance any more which matter, its the quality of teacher which matters.
Further resources and options